Flesch-Kincaid Readability Score: MS Word
Your documents aren't much good to anyone if they aren't easily read and understood.
Fortunately, MS Word has a built in feature that will give you a score, letting you know whether your document will be easily read and understood, and that is the Flesch-Kincaid Readability Score, which is one of the best known indicators measuring how easily an adult can read and understand a text.
Readability statistics are good predictors of the level of difficulty of documents, particularly technical ones.
To display the Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease Readability Score in Word, follow the steps below:
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the Spelling & Grammar tab.
- Select Check grammar with spelling check box.
- Select the Show Readability Statistics check box.
- Click OK.
- Click Spelling and Grammar on the Standard toolbar.
Only when Word finishes checking spelling and grammar will it display information about the reading level of the document.
As a rule of thumb, scores of 90 100 are considered easily understandable by an average 5th grader. 8th and 9th grade students could easily understand passages with a score of 60 70, and passages with results of 0 20 are best understood by college graduates. Reader's Digest magazine has a readability index of approximately 65, Time Magazine scores about 52, and the Harvard law Review has a general readability score in the low 30s.
MS Word displays the Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease readability score, like any other readability score, for text in the last language that was checked, likely in the last processed paragraph.
Visit Carol's web site to learn more tips like this one!
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.