Face Blindness: The Inability to Distinguish Faces
Imagine not being able to recognize your mother's face -- or even your own. It sounds like the plot of the next big Hollywood science fiction movie -- but for 48-year-old Bill Choisser, it's real life.
"During the 1970s, as a small-town lawyer in the Illinois Ozarks, [Bill Choisser] struggled to convince clients that he was competent even though he couldn't find them in court. He never greeted the judges when he passed them on the street -- everyone looked similarly blank to him -- and he developed a reputation for arrogance. His father, also a lawyer, told him to pay more attention. His mother grew distant from him. He felt like he lived in a ghost world. Not being able to see his own face left him feeling hollow."
Countless visits to doctors led Choisser nowhere. "No one, as far as the doctors knew, had ever been born with the condition," Wired wrote.
It wasn't until Choisser discovered the Internet that he began finding some answers. He posted a message titled "Trouble Recognizing Faces" to a Usenet newsgroup about neurological problems. Several months later, in late 1996, he finally received one reply. "Hello, Bill," the email began, "I read what you wrote, and I think I have what you have."
Choisser eventually began a website and support group on Yahoo and website for what he termed "face blindness." That's how neuroscientist Brad Duchaine found him. Duchaine ran tests on Choisser -- and eventually did the same with others on Choisser's face blindness support site.
Through the Internet, Choisser brought a community of face-blind people together -- many of whom were able to aid Duchaine in his research to discover crucial facts about the condition.
Now Duchaine runs his own website for face blindness.
To read Wired's incredible five page story on face blindness, click here:
Bill Choisser's website:
Choisser's face blindness support group on Yahoo:
Brad Duchaine's face blindness website:
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.