Gates Speaks Out Against Mac Ads
When Newsweek's Steven Levy sat down with Bill Gates to discuss the Vista debut, it wasn't long before Apple's television ads were brought up. The ads depict a cool, young "Mac" guy and a not-so-cool "PC" middle-ager, played by author John Hodgman. A recent ad showed Hodgman having to undergo surgery to update to Vista.
Well, he wasn't too impressed. (Source: dailytech.com)
"I don't think the over 90 percent of the [population] who use Windows PCs think of themselves as dullards, or the kind of klutzes that somebody is trying to say they are," Gates says. (Source: msnbc.com)
Gates didn't stop there. He argued that Apple's assertions in the ad -- that it is more difficult to upgrade on a PC than on a Mac -- are false. "Certainly we've done a better job letting you upgrade on the hardware than our competitors have done. You can choose to buy a new machine, or you can choose to do an upgrade." (Source: msnbc.com)
Continuing to express his repulsion with Apple ads, Gates said: "I don't know why [Apple is] acting like it's superior. I don't even get it. What are they trying to say? Does honesty matter in these things, or if you're really cool, that means you get to be a lying person whenever you feel like it? There's not even the slightest shred of truth to it." (Source: msnbc.com)
Gates also addressed the numerous Vista reviews that note that many of Vista's features are already in Mac's operating system. He hinted that Microsoft -- not Apple -- was the original designer of these features. Further, he reasoned that Apple was quicker to market these features because Microsoft made their plans public and also because it took so long for Microsoft to create the new security base. (Source: macnn.com)
Still skeptical? In that case, Gates encourages you to talk to Vista's chief developer. "Jim Allchin will be glad to educate you feature by feature what the truth is," he said. (Source: msnbc.com)
It certainly isn't surprising to hear Gates express his displeasure with the Mac ads -- and all things Apple. But Team Apple shouldn't get too excited for Gates' 2008 departure; he promises to stay fully involved in Microsoft's affairs. (Source: macnn.com)
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.