NASA Bets Astronaut Lives on Sewing Kit
Since NASA routinely puts astronauts in space, you'd think the trip would be filled with all sorts of experiments dependent upon modern science and technology.
Surprisingly enough, however, it's technology failing the visitors to NASA's International Space Station, while extremely low-tech techniques are saving the day.
The problems all started with an unreliable Russian navigation computer. The device hung up on the astronauts last Tuesday, causing a not-so-funny comedy of errors while engineers worked to open external solar blankets. Despite the hiccup, the solar technology (which is a large part of the crew's mission in space) opened successfully. (Source: spaceflightnow.com)
NASA has other work to attend to and it's turning to a less-than-modern technique to fix a thermal blanket which was peeled back during launch last week.
So, fancy and expensive tools to work, no?
Houston is uncomfortable leaving the equipment in its current state, initially extending the astronauts' tenure in space for another two days while repairs were made. The date's been changed back, although you certainly couldn't blame the astronauts for holding their breath.
Although one might expect million-dollar space tools to be carefully pulled out from the billion-dollar space tool box, instead astronauts used a simple sewing kit and steel thread. They've attempted to hold the blanket in place with a surgical staple or two.
Sounds like the space equivalent of duct-taping the gas cap back on an '88 Tercel.
Despite worries and a primitive repair job, Houston believes the graphite underneath the blanket should protect the astronauts during re-entry. (Source: cbsnews.com)
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.