Enable or Disable Windows Autorun / Autoplay feature?
Infopackets Reader Amy O. writes:
" Dear Dennis,
I recently installed Roxio Easy CD Creator (ECD) 5 Platinum on my PC. Ever since then, my CD Autorun feature would not work. I later decided to uninstall ECD5 in order to restore the Autorun feature, but my CD ROM still refuses to Autorun a disc whenever I put it in the drive.
Do you have any suggestions to get my Autorun to work? "
Autorun won't work unless a feature called Auto Insert Notification and/or AutoPlay is turned on.
Auto Insert Notification works by periodically polling a CD ROM drive for the purpose of reading the title and table of contents on the disc. Unfortunately, Autorun can interfere with the CD burning process, which is why many CD burning applications (such as Easy CD Creator) disable the feature altogether.
AutoPlay is another aspect of AutoRun, which can be used to "fine tune" how different types of CDs launch when inserted into the drive. I do not believe the AutoPlay feature is available in Windows 95 or 98.
I managed to dig up a link that details how to enable / disable Autorun and AutoPlay:
Another very easy way to enable AutoRun is to use a utility called TweakUI (Powertoys) from Microsoft.
To download TweakUI for Windows 2000, NT and XP:
Side note: When I used PowerToys on my Windows XP system, I found the Autorun feature located under My Computer -> Drives -> AutoPlay.
You can also download PowerToys for Win9x/ME:
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.