Link or Embed Excel Charts: MS Word
If an Excel chart already exists, it's a simple matter to link or embed one into an MS Word document. The techniques are similar to those for linking and embedding Excel worksheets by using the Paste Special command.
Documents dealing with numeric data can often bog you down in details, causing a reader to miss the main point. A well-placed chart can show at a glance the trend or relationship among the numbers. While you can create a chart from scratch in MS Word, you don't need to do so if the chart already exists in Excel.
Follow the steps below to link or embed an Excel chart into a Word document.
- Launch MS Word and Excel.
- Open both Word and Excel files.
- Switch to Word and place the insertion point where you want the charge to be inserted.
- Choose Edit | Paste Special to see the dialog box.
- Click Paste and Microsoft Excel Chart Object to embed, or click Paste Link to link the chart.
The chart appears as a picture within the document, surrounded by sizing handles to adjust it, and change the text wrapping to position it on the page so that text wraps around it. Double-click it to modify the contents of the chart using Excel, as with worksheets.
Don't just dump a charge into a document. Always label it as a Figure, Exhibit or Chart and refer to it specifically by name in the document.
Even if an Excel chart requires an entire page, don't just print it in Excel and insert the sheet between your report pages. Instead, insert the chart right into the document so the page numbering and headers and footers are consistent throughout. If necessary, change to landscape orientation to make a large chart.
You can find tips like this and many, many more in the Carol's Corner Office Tips and Tricks eBook. Click the link to download your copy today!
(c) Carol Bratt, all rights reserved. Used with permission. Duplication is forbidden without express consent of author. Visit Carol's web site to learn more tips like this one!
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.