Third Conficker Worm Wields: Most Resilient Yet
The frightening Conficker worm is just getting bigger and meaner all the time. W32.Downadup.C, a third variant of the Conficker/Downadup worm, is reportedly being pushed out to systems that are already infected.
Analysis of the third variant of the worm by Symantec is still in the early stages, but their initial research found a couple of new attributes -- one of which includes targeting antivirus software and security tools with the intention of disabling them. (Source: symantec.com)
New Variant Protects itself from AntiVirus Software
The Conficker/Downadup authors moved from a 250-a-day domain-generation algorithm to a new 50,000-a-day domain-generation algorithm in response to the security industry's success in cracking the W32.Downadup.B domain-generation algorithm. (Source: symantec.com)
Symantec is not seeing an increase in customer infections for this threat but they are keeping a close eye on it.
Earlier versions of the conficker/downadup worm attempted to disable antivirus software but the newest variant is designed to provide more protective actions to infected PCs so it can better defend itself from antivirus software and other methods of remediation.
A Modular Component For Currently Infected PCs
Vincent Weafer, Vice president of Symantec Security Response, says that W32.Downadup.C is a more aggressive modular component for machines currently infected with the Conficker/Downadup worm. The new version does not attempt to self-replicate and appears to behave more like a Trojan than a worm, noting that it's more robust in defending itself. (Source: pcworld.com)
A list of processes found on infected machines that contain an antivirus program or security analysis tool that are killed can be found at Symantec's forum. (Source: symantec.com)
Visit Bill's Links and More for more great tips, just like this one!
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.