Win7: Free Upgrade Policy Caveats and Restrictions
Microsoft is making it worthwhile for consumers to pick up a new Vista PC. Those who buy one can receive a guaranteed free copy of Windows 7 once it becomes available in October.
The offer runs between June 26 and the end of January. The catch is that some PC makers may tack on an additional shipping and handling charge for the updates.
Which PCs Qualify for Windows 7 Upgrade?
PCs equipped with Vista Home Premium, Vista Business or Vista Ultimate will qualify for the offer. Any reservations about your current system should be directed to a local computer retailer or tech service provider.
A few netbooks may qualify for the free upgrade if they are running Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Home Premium. Microsoft continues to look for options as to how netbook systems will be able to load the operating system on these machines, which lack a CD or DVD drive. (Source: cnet.com)
Win7: Upgrade Policy Restrictions
There are some Windows 7 Upgrade rulings expected to leave more than a few people dejected.
The first piece of bad news will come for large companies that wish to purchase a number of Vista PCs in bulk, in hopes of qualifying for the upgrade in October. Microsoft has limited the upgrade offer to a maximum of 25 PCs per organization.
While it may seem a tad harsh, Microsoft would like to remind everyone that the offer is designed for consumers and small businesses. Also, the limit was actually raised from 5 machines to 25 machines.
The second piece of bad news will come for those who purchased Vista PCs before June 26. Since the free upgrade option only took effect last week, these owners will not be issued a free copy of Windows 7.
Pre-Order Program Available Limited Time
Although the Vista opportunity runs until January, the pre-order alternative is only offered until July 11.
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.