Gaming and the Elderly: Will Today's Gamers Close the Gap?
Can the video game industry break the technology-created age barrier? Although nothing is certain at the moment, Microsoft has made attempts to do so.
In conjunction with game maker Electronic Arts, Microsoft brought a day of gaming to a pensioners' settlement in Finland. This specific venue was a prime choice, since Finland is home to the most rapidly aging population in Western Europe.
The motive behind this day of electronic recreation was to gauge interest in gaming among pensioners. For the seniors, however, playing video games was merely a way to strengthen relationships with their grandchildren. Pensioner Kaija Ekstam happily stated that "My grandkids play these games so, it will be nice to join them." (Source: news.com)
I terms of research, the gaming day revealed that the seniors' interest in playing video games will increase as long as they are introduced to these electronics with enough information.
The elderly often resists electronic games because they are unaware of how to use them. "The aim was to create an atmosphere for people to try [the video games] out with experts' help. We first expected people to stay home, but about 70 people paid a visit here during the first hour," project head Pekka Roni confirmed. (Source: news.zdnet.com)
Therefore, exposing seniors to the unfamiliar renders positive results. Even though they are no longer school-aged, learning is still welcomed among the elderly. For this reason, those barriers that deter the older generation from embracing technological advances, such as email and gaming, are collapsing. Pekka Roni validates this fact by saying that "seniors only need initial orientation into the world of electronic entertainment." (Source: news.zdnet.com)
In the end, the opinions of the seniors parallel those of the researchers. Kaija Ekstam believes that "If you roughly know how a computer mouse works, there should be no problem." (Source: news.com)
Infopackets Top Windows 10 FAQs
How to Upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit
How to Fix: Windows 10 Antivirus Missing, Not Compatible
How to Fix: Windows 10 Display Shifted; Screen Fuzzy
How to Upgrade Windows 7, 8 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit
to Downgrade from Windows 10
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error C1900208
- How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
- Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?
Click here for more Windows 10 articles.