Substitute for a computer mouse?

Dennis Faas's picture

Infopackets Reader Ronald H. writes:

" Dear Dennis,

I recently had a stroke which has left me paralyzed on the right side of my body. As a result, I am now unable to use the computer mouse with any degree of accuracy. I was wondering if you or any of your Readers could recommend a product that I can use to help me navigate my computer in place of the mouse. I am currently typing this email to you with the aid of Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which inputs words on the screen using my voice. Any assistance you or your Readers can provide would be greatly appreciated. "

My response:

I am very sorry to hear about your health problem, and I hope that in the future you are able to recover. I have two suggestions for you which can use to substitute your mouse: namely, a trackball device or a keyboard with a touchpad built into it.

A trackball is stationary and the pointer can be moved using your thumb (or finger) by rolling the ball which sits on the top. I found a similar device to a trackball which can be used with the left or right hand; you can view a sample here.

Touchpad's come standard with most laptops these days, but you can also buy a desktop PC keyboard equipped with a touchpad (similar to the ones seen here).

RE: Additional suggestions: Help from Infopackets Readers

If you have another suggestion for Ron, please feel free to email me and I will pass it on to him (or write a follow up to this article). Thanks.

Update 2004/10/13: This article has been updated. Click here to read!

Rate this article: 
No votes yet