Disgruntled Employee Hacks Boss' Network, Arrested

Dennis Faas's picture

We've all had problems with our bosses. But few of us would react to such a dispute by hacking our employer's network. And yet, that's exactly what a 41-year-old Long Island man did after being passed over for promotion.

Michael Meneses is a systems manager living in Smithtown, New York. Until early 2012 he was employed by a local firm that builds high-voltage power supplies.

Man Allegedly Hacks Former Employer's Network

While working for his former employer, Meneses was responsible for implementing and maintaining customized software designed to keep the firm's production and inventory systems running smoothly.

Overall, Meneses was a critical member of his employer's team. This meant he was given premium access to the firm's network.

But when Meneses was passed over for promotion, he used that access to get back at his employer. According to reports, Meneses resigned in December 2011, at which point his network access was revoked. (Source: fbi.gov)

Nevertheless, he somehow managed to bypass the company's network security and go on a three-week offensive that involved manipulating security credentials and implementing a program that changed log-in names and passwords.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation says that Meneses carried out the attack using a virtual private network (VPN) accessed from his home and a local hotel.

Damages Estimated at Over $90K

"Meneses' efforts ranged from using a former colleague's email account to discourage new applicants from taking Meneses' position, to sending commands to alter the business calendar by one month, disrupting the company's production and finance operations," the FBI noted in a recent statement.

The U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York says that Meneses "engaged in a 21st Century campaign of cyber-vandalism and high-tech revenge." (Source: pcworld.com)

It's estimated that Meneses' offensive resulted in almost $100,000 in damages for his former employer. Meneses, who recently appeared in the Long Island U.S. District Court, has denied the allegations and was released on a $50,000 bond.

If convicted, the accused could face a year in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet