Password Protect External USB Hard Drive?
Infopackets Reader Salomon A. writes:
" Dear Dennis,
With what program or how can I protect, (lock/unlock) my USB HARD drives with a password? I bought the Acronis Image and did my backup-image to a USB drive, but now my external drive is vulnerable.
There are so many programs for scrambling files and folders but what I am looking for is really a 'Master' password like Windows XP. Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide. "
I don't know of any such a product that is "sold separately", per se, that will allow you to lock your external enclosure with a password. However, I do know of a few other options. You can:
a) protect individual files (or folders) using a special program.
b) password protect your system so that no one can gain access to the drive. In addition to using a strong password for your Windows XP user account, a password-protected screensaver would also help lock out anyone from unauthorized use while you're temporarily away.
c) password protect your backups using Acronis True Image (this is one of the options available during the Backup Wizard).
All three of these options should provide you with enough security against unauthorized use.
How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Failed Error 80240020
Can I Cancel my Windows 10 Reservation and Reserve Later?
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 using Windows 7, 8 License
- No Service Packs For Windows 10; Support ends 2025
- Will Windows 10 Install Automatically?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Do I have to Reinstall Programs?
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I choose 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Which Version of Windows 10 Will I Get (Home or Pro)?
- How to Reserve Windows 10 Upgrade (Free)
- How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error
- Windows 10 Upgrade: Can I keep my Old Windows Install?
- How to Cancel Windows 10 Reservation (Properly)
- Download Windows 10 .ISO (DVD) for Clean Install?
- Microsoft: Windows 10 Will Be The Last Version
- Windows 10 to Natively Support iOS, Android Apps
- Does Windows 10 require the CPU to support PAE?
- Windows 10: Can I Upgrade or do I need a Clean Install?